11/20/11

Vampira Box!

I just finished a very dark but beautiful box with Vampira on the cover. It occurred to me that everyone might not be familiar with Vampira so I thought I would give a little information here.


Vampira was a character created by Maila Nurmi. The idea first came around when she dressed up as Mortica Addams (from the New Yorker comic, the Addams family tv show didn't come out until the 60s) at a halloween party in 1953. A tv producer saw her and the "Vampira Show" was born, which was a horror movie tv show. If you haven't heard of the show don't feel bad, there were only 5 episodes. After the show ended Vampira went on to be in a number a schlock pictures the most well known being Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space.


Still from Plan 9 From Outer Space

Charles Addams comic strip, inspiration for Vampira

I know Vampira is very different from the other women on my jewelry boxes (Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn) but I picked her because like those other woman she is a style icon, she just has a different style.







1 comment: